Friday, April 25, 2014

Let it Go - Assignment 1

Today we begin our Let.It.Go. journey together! Get your Bible, notebook, pen and Let.It.Go. book ready to begin our journey toward trusting God more. I remember as a teen how I could not wait to grow up and make my own decisions. As teens we think we could do life better than our parents, right? I was certain I could and that my way was the best way! Living life as an adult I have learned differently. God’s way is the best way. Even though I understand that, there are still times when I find myself saying that I have released control to the hands of the Lord only to take it back and try to run the show myself. Am I the only one that does that?
Karen states that our over controlling is basically saying that we do not trust God and that we know what's better for us than He does. OUCH! I need to put bandages on my toes... that hurt! Yup, Karen is right. “Women are wired to control. We all inherited the ‘bossy gene.’” I see it already in my girls when they play or interact with others. They love to control what game is played, how the game is played, where the game is played, and who plays the game. Well... t’s time to grow up, dig in, and release control to a trustworthy God.

This weeks assignment is to read Chapters 1 and 2.

Personal Study Questions for the week:

1. Has there ever been a time in your life when, due to sickness or other circumstances, you were not able to be in control of normal day-to-day activities? If so, describe how that felt.

2. Which of these statements most reflects why you most often try to control. I want to feel indispensable or I want to get my own way. Reread the statement that you chose. Now, explain why you desire for that statement to be true in your life.

3. Which of the following types of controller (pg 20-22) do you find most difficult to deal with?
* the overtly controlling, loud and outspoken woman
* the sweet, soft spoken, but manipulative saint
* the enabler who constantly covers for others so her family looks good
* the victim who controls by making you feel sorry for her
* the people-pleaser who controls because you owe her favors

Why do you feel it is hard to deal with this type of controller?
Now (be honest), which one (or more) of these roles do YOU sometimes assume and why do you attempt to control in this way?

4. Think about your personal time-spending habits. What are you focusing on, a tool, a toy, or a tangent?
5. Look up the following Bible passages. After each, write how it speaks to the concept of time-wasting tangents. Ps 31:14-15, Rom 12:1-2, Eph 5:15-17, Col 3:17

Memory Verse this week:
Now the serpent was more craft than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God actually say....?" Gen 3:1

As you study this week visit the blog and share your struggles and your victories!


No comments:

Post a Comment