Honest Open and Transparent time!!! Here we go......
When I was younger I was Bossy with a capital, bold B!!! Why was I bossy? Well duh, I wanted MY way all the time, I wanted control. Guys, I was so bossy that I was known as a bully. I am NOT proud of that at all but it is an "honest" part of my past. That's a whole other bible study and blog post! As I've grown up and taken on the momma roll I've moved on from being bossy, at least I thought I had. Yep, I thought I had moved on until I asked Bill what he thought of my mama roll of "leading". (Side note: I'm not referring to the type of spiritual "leading" our husbands are to do) I gave him the floor and asked him to be honest with me... I'm ready for it, I can take it, BRING.IT.ON! OMG.. what was I thinking?? After our talk, I had to admit to myself that I still have a tendency to "bully, want it my way and want control" especially around the Giles house. I often "demand" Emma to wash dishes or Elyse to clear the table. But wait, isn't that what mothers do? Bill said yes, but pointed out that it's in my tone... my tone is demanding, quick and very matter of fact. Isn't it funny how our "tone" can change how things are received? Normally it's demanding cause it takes me three or four times telling them to do it in order to get it done. Can you relate? I tend to jump in "demand" mode first with the anticipation of having to repeat myself three times and because I'm usually in the midst of being a multi-tasking mom and doing other things. So again, I am bossy and want things done MY way and done on MY time....ugh, I AM controlling! After our honest chat, I asked Bill what he thought should be done with my "bossy/controlling" self? What I loved is that he said this.. maybe WE (yes, he included himself) can slow down and work on our tones. Maybe WE should stop doing what WE are doing and focus on asking each other to do things instead of rushing around barking orders. Good point... I definitely don't want to raise future barking, controlling wives. And I certainly don't want this bossy/controlling demeanor to over flow into my relationship with the Lord or my friends. And if it has already, I am truly sorry! Again, this is a work in progress.... you know that "imperfect progress" we learned about. I am VERY ready to learn how to let it go.... I ask you to pray for me as I pray for each of you.
Thks JJ forfor being so Open. I now it might sound weird but-sometimes i wish Jody (my husband) could read and hear the things ladies talk about! Then he would realize we are not the only people with "that"/"those" problems. If I tell him, it doesn't usually hold much 'weight.';-) I started reading this book a while back. I read about half of it and stopped to read Unglued. It is a great book. It made me realize alot of things. So i think i'm going to have to start over and read it with you guys. The tone of your voice is such a hard thing to accomplish. WHY!? Well, i used to think it was just my Mommy "attitude" that comes out. Then i realized, that voice sure doesn't sound like a mom i would want. Then i heard it in Haylee one day talking to Nathan. That hit me hard! With the combination of reading Unglued, starting this book again and reading real-life stuff from you ladies -I am a work in progress. And proud of it. I am, trying to stop- think-react-in a better way. Think about God's presence in my life-in my heart and then react. Control. But Letting God contol!
ReplyDelete