Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What's Inside Will Spill Out



Blog post from Proverbs 31:
 
In Chapter 7 of Let. It. Go. we learned that what’s inside of us will spill out. So therefore if we’ve been filled with junk, junk will spill out. Junk like harsh words, negativity, impatience, frustration, depression, anxiety, anger…you get the picture. By the same token, if we are filled with good stuff, then good stuff will spill forth. Stuff like kindness, patience, understanding, compassion, forgiveness, love, gentleness, sweetness, and all other excellent things. This is why it’s so important to spend time with God, in His Word every day. Of course this won’t make us perfect, and even on those days (especially on those days) we spend time with the Lord, we may still lose it or get down, but we will have been equipped to handle our situations and schedules much better.  

As we look at one of this week’s reflection verses, Psalm 31:15-15a (turn there in your Bibles now), we soak up the fact that we have a God that we can trust. He is ours. He is mine. He is yours. Then David writes, “My times are in your hands.”  In other words “all of life’s circumstances are under God’s control.”  (Life Application Study Bible)
Right now I feel like my schedule is packed. Often it changes at a moment’s notice throwing off my entire day! (Example:  I came down the stairs the other morning, heading for the coffee maker and then to quiet time. There was a foul smell in the room. I turned on the light and there was doggie diarrhea all over the carpet. My quiet time had to wait and I had to gag my way through cleaning it up before the rest of the family awakened.)
That could have ruined my day. I could have complained my way through the rest of the day because my schedule had been thrown off. Instead, I chose to listen to worship music. I might have missed my scheduled quiet time, but I had some flexibility in what I listened to. I could keep my woe is me pathetic attitude or I could trade that in for praising God and remembering that I don’t have to fret, complain, or worry, my times are in His hands. His very very capable hands.
If I wasn’t spending time in God’s Word, I don’t know if I would have chosen that route of praise and worship. That’s not what I felt like doing at the time, but it sure did feel good later!
Since we are in Psalm 31 this week, I want to explore what’s around Psalm 31. I did this in my quiet time and it was such a blessing.

 Today’s Assignment

1. Open your Bibles to Psalm 31:14.  Read Psalm 31:14-24.  Underline what speaks to you personally. Journal about it as if you are speaking to God Himself.
I found this passage so encouraging. God is on my side!!! He’s there to fight my enemies and I can be strong and take heart because my hope is in Him. (v. 24)

2. Oh let’s keep reading. Look what’s next, Psalm 32.  Any of you struggle with forgiveness? Do you wonder if God could really forgive you?  I know I’ve had that question before and the Bible gave me the wonderful freeing answers I needed and desired. Yes! We are forgiven!
Read Psalm 32:1-11. Mark the verses that you are thankful for the most. The ones that are jumping in your heart right now. Take a few moments to pray or journal.
Wow! I acknowledge my sins, I confessed, and I’m FORGIVEN!!! No more record of that sin. The Lord loves me unfailingly! (v. 10b)

3. Read Psalm 33:4 and Psalm 33:20-22.
Think, pray, and journal on that!!!

Once you have completed #1,2, and 3, answer this.

Are you filled with hope today?  Are YOU filled with hope today?  Are you FILLED with hope today? Are you filled with HOPE today?  Are you filled with hope TODAY?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment