Excerpt from another blog:
Why have I never thought of it?
A plan, pre-made, ready for attack when those unglued moments come.
This, I need.
All too often I’m caught off guard by my anger, frustration, or hormones (let’s be honest). And without a plan of action, I let those emotions run straight out of my mouth. Eek. No good, people, no good.
So let’s take a look at the plan Lysa’s come up with for when those fun little moments arrive:
1. Remember who you are.
2. Redirect your focus to Jesus.
3. Recognize God’s job isn’t your job.
4. Recite thanks and praises to God.
Yes. Awesomeness. Now to dig deeper…
1. Remember who you are.
This one makes me laugh. When I was growing up, every time I left the cemetery, my grandpa would tell me “Remember, you’re a Peebler!” It made me smile, knowing I belonged to someone. But it also made me doubly aware of my actions. I was representing a family. My choices mattered.
2. Redirect your focus to Jesus.
I loved Lysa’s anecdote about reciting “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus” over and over in her car when her kids bugged her. And how it weirded them out. I’m totally doing that. But it’s true – focusing on Jesus brings a calm.
3. Recognize God’s job isn’t your job.
Oh, how hard this is for me, the controller of controllers! Must start reciting Jesus’s name NOW if I’m ever going to let this one sink in…
4. Recite thanks and praises to God.
Loved this. So much truth here. Shifting our focus from the wrong to His right is POWERFUL. In fact, I could use some of that this week.
Chapter 7 questions for Reflection:
- Do you love Lysa’s plan, or would you change it up? What would you add/take away?
- How do you think having a plan would help you when those unglued moments come?
- Which one of these steps is hardest for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment