Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Labels are Awful

 We had a great time of sharing and feeding our faces last night!! Thank you to the 11 wonderful women that showed up and we missed all the other wonderful women....God is so good!! 

Like I said last night, I'm one that puts on a front in front of those that I feel like I need to impress then spew on the ones I love most, Bill and my girls. I want to change, I REALLY do!! I'm tired of the "she's crazy" looks, I hate seeing my kids scream at each other because that's how mama "deals" with things so it must be ok, I hate feeling the guilt that immediately settles in, I hate apologizing for "losing it" then turning around and becoming unglued 20 minutes later. That's why I took Tana's advice from our meeting and asked for accountability from Bill, Emma and Elyse. I apologized to them for my unglued moments and told them that I wanted to be a better mom but I needed their help. Their brow wrinkled and lips tightened, "Ummmm, what? Help? How? I explained that in order for me to become a better mom it took them being better kids for mama. Example, when your told to do something; do it the FIRST time you're asked. When you're tired or ill and don't want to cooperate; remember mama is tired too and needs your cooperation. But also, I want you to point out to me when I'm yelling "at" you....but do it with love. So we came up with the "code phrase"  of UNGLUED WITH LOVE when any of us are yelling we are going to quietly say "unglued with love" then STOP whatever we are doing or fighting about and talk it out. Will it work ALL the time? No, but it will be imperfect progress in the right direction! Please share in the comments what you guys are learning... And what action steps you are taking, I love to read them! 

(Found this info on another blog and had to share it! Spend time in God's word and on this blog entry. I'll move on to chapter 4 Friday.)

Labels are awful!! I always mess up.  I’m such a coward. Things will never get better.  I’m just like my parents. I’ll never lose weight.  I’ll always be a screamer.
I let these self-condemning labels tear me down.

Scripture for Today:
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”   Romans 8:1

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for JJ who is in Christ Jesus!"   (Insert your name)

Reflection (This is for you to think about and ponder)
Like us the apostle Peter was someone whose emotions kept him stuck in hard places.  Here are just a few examples of his raw reactions:
  • Peter dares to jump out of a boat and walk on water to Jesus, but then becomes terrified and begins to sink. 
    •  (Matthew 14: 22-32)
  • Peter actually tries to rebuke Jesus for predicting His own suffering and death.  In turn, Jesus strongly rebukes Peter, saying, “Get away from me, Satan!” 
    • (Matthew 16:21-23)
  • Peter draws his sword in anger and cuts off the ear of a man named Malchus, a servant of the high priest who was among those who came to arrest Jesus in Gethsemane.
    •  (John 18:1-10)
  • After Jesus is arrested, Peter’s fears cause him to deny Jesus three times. 
    • (John 18:15-18, 25-27)                                                                     

“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  (Ephesians 2:10) 

The chiseling process is about subtraction rather than addition.  To grow in holiness and grace, we stand in God’s loving presence and agree to let go of anything He wants to chip away.  Your labels may be from others or yourself.  Chiseling can be harsh at times, but there is also a time in the process when chiseling needs tools like fine sandpaper to smooth the edges or a soft damp cloth to wipe the dust away.  It is a process that takes time and prayer.  When trying to tear down a label, Lysa suggested this three step process:
  • Identify the label as a lie meant to tear me down.
  • Choose to view this circumstance as a call to action, not a call to beat myself up mentally.
  • Use the momentum of tackling one label to help me tackle more.

How do you feel about your chiseling process right now?  Are you able to experience God as a loving presence?  Are you able to let go and trust God?

*by the way, thank you for all your comments! Knowing I'm not alone brings me a little comfort.*

2 comments:

  1. Well, i am a little behind on reading. So i am just now reading this blog. It was a little odd reading your comment JJ. I felt like I was reading about my life!! After the revival -in the mist of tears-i had the same conversation with my kids. I wanted "home life" to be more pleasant. And, it needed to start with me and them. Them doing what they're told-following the direction of their parents. Me controlling my tongue and attitude. Which will in turn create more joy in our lives. Has this been a success-NO. But i am more aware of "me." I am trying to detour the negative thoughts, attitude, words. When i fail, I label myself. And, it's hard to pull that lable off. But, reading Gods word, consciously making that effort, redirecting my thoughts and thanking my Lord - is my starting point, my resting stop and ultimately the finish line. Work in progress:-)_Michele n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a work in progress. I love that labels won't stick if we don't let them... it's totally up to us. Instead of labeling, I identify and make changes. Love that this book is making me more aware of my raw emotions and how to use them for the better.

      Delete