Friday, March 28, 2014

GENTLENESS...SIGH


Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. ~ Philippians 4:4-5 

GENTLENESS: the quality or state of being gentle; especially :  mildness of manners or disposition, Considerate or kindly in disposition. Not harsh or severe.

I think chapter 8 has been one of the most important so far! While learning what type of unglued we are and having some strategies in place is good, there is an even more crucial skill to have.  Perspective.

“Perspective calls forth a gentleness I can’t seem to find any other way.”  “I can have moments of gentleness. I can perform acts of gentleness. But gentleness doesn’t ooze from the core of who I am. This is especially true if I am sleepy or stressed.” Yep... gentleness doesn't come easily to me either!! For me personally, I think it's because I lack patience. And on top of NO patience, add on a long day at work, ornary kids and husband and everyday speed bumps, and my patience level drops!  And when my patience is low, so is J.J.'s gentleness.  How can I have patience and be gentle when the girls aren't cooperating?  How can I have patience and be gentle when I go to switch closet light on and have no light (after asking hubby to change it while I make lunches for girls, pack ball bags, sign homework papers, all while cooking supper etc.)? HOW?

"I just have to learn to reclaim the gentleness that is rightfully mine. And I can reclaim it by practicing the one word that appears right before, “Let your gentleness be evident to all” (Philippians 4:5). That little word is rejoice: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4). The more my heart is parked in a place of thanksgiving and rejoicing, the less room I have for grumpiness.pg 121

Well, DUHHHH! Like Lysa says... "be a noticer". Be a noticer by rejoicing... that light bulb that wasn't changed, at least I have a husband that worked hard in order to provide for our needs - be a noticer... REJOICE! "The more I rejoice, the more I keep things in perspective. The more I keep things in perspective, the gentler I become.” This is going to take a lot of work but I am going to try really hard... because I would LOVE to have the spiritual fruit of gentleness, I'm sure my girls and Bill would love that too! 

There were no questions for chapter 8, instead the assignment for this chapter was to do as Lysa did and make a gratitude list. Feel free to share your list in the comment section!! Again, I LOVE to read your comments....

2 comments:

  1. So I typed comment from my phone, hit publish and it deleted it so lets try this again.
    I loved this chapter! I have found that if I pause for perspective, it automatically brings a "calmness"...a moment to breath and it can make a difference in coming unglued or not. Just taking that one moment to reflect can equal gentleness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I thought of you when reading because you had already shared that "perspective" is what helps you... thank you for sharing!!

      Delete